Saturday, November 8, 2014

Halloween

Jon hurried home from school on Friday (Halloween) so that we (and by we, I mean he) could quickly carve a pumpkin with the kids.  They wanted nothing to do with it.  Kayla said that she, "didn't want to get her hands dirty."  They just sat around the table and watched him.






I wanted to have the kids 'match' or follow a 'theme', but I didn't want to buy a costume for Nathan because I already had a lady bug and bumble bee in his size (from Matthew and Kayla's Halloween when they were 1.5 years old).  So, my starting point was bumble bee.  I also did not want to have to buy anything new, so I hunted around Craigslist and my facebook swap group for a month.  This is what I came up with...

Matthew was a "Sider" aka Spider.  I had a difficult time finding him a spider costume (most bug costume are ladybugs for girls or bumble bees, which he already was).  I originally had bought a size 12-18 month spider costume off of my swap, which fit him, but the legs were short looking.  A few weeks later I came across this one on Craigslist...but it was just the body.  My mom suggested I put Matthew in a pair of Kayla's black leggings (as opposed to the black cargo pants I originally had him in) and that I use the headpiece from the 12-18 month costume.  I always do what I'm told, and moms know best, so voila!  Matthew the Spider.


Kayla was a butterfly.  The skirt is a hand-me-down from her cousin Annika, as is the shirt.  I bought the wings (brand new) from Value Village (they're so cute and sparkly), and I made the antenna by adding a pipe cleaner to one of my headbands.  Voila!  Kayla the Butterfly.


And Nathan was a bumblebee.  He wasn't too impressed to be put in his costume, as it wasn't very big on him.  Poor kid has a somewhat large head, so it took a little wiggling to get it through the neck of the costume.  He eventually came around and stopped crying.  Voila, Nathan the Bumble Bee.




The kids did great trick-or-treating.  Kayla was very confident and actually lead us from house to house to house.  There was no stopping her.  It gets quite busy in our area, and so Nathan could not be left to walk on his own or he would be run over.  Luckily, he was pretty content to be put in the stroller once we got tired of carrying him.

The kids have been really good about the candy, too.  Jon and I, not so much.  The candy just sits on the coffee table, and for the most part, they ignore it.  The only time they ask for something is if they hear us trying to sneak something.  Matthew will say, "I'm hungry," and Kayla will say, "Did you hear something?  What was that wrapper noise?"  It's quite cute.  Not that we sneak candy all the time...we mostly eat it at night once they're in bed.  Don't look at all the wrappers in our garbage can...

No comments:

Post a Comment