Friday, January 27, 2017

We have a Reader!

MATTHEW!

I started sitting down with Matthew (and Kayla) in November, once I learned that there were some kids in their kindergarten class that already knew how to read.  The book I chose was "Jack and Janet".  This book has been successfully used for a few generations: my Mom learned to read with this book and I (and all of my siblings) learned to read with this book.  It was worth a shot!


Although Matthew initially was not as quick as Kayla was to be able to sound out a word, once he figured out what the word was, he would remember it for all future occurrences.  It's really quite amazing to see how quickly he has picked up reading!  I haven't really even spent too much time reading with him (we're only halfway through the book) but he reads all of the pages with ease and now will read his own library books from school or other books on our bookshelf (granted they aren't too long!  A sentence or two per page is what he likes).  He seems to enjoy reading, and I hope that continues!



No comments:

Post a Comment