Monday, March 28, 2011

Matthew & Kayla's Birth Story

Thursday, March 17
2:00pm
Checked to see how dilated I was...only 1 cm and 50% effaced. First dose of induction gel.

10:00pm
Given a sleeping pill.

Friday, March 18
3:00am
Still only 1 cm dilated. Given morphine with gravol to help ease the discomfort of the mild contractions so that I could sleep.

9:05am
Checked to see how dilated I was.

10:30am
Checked to see how dilated I was...2-3 cm. Dr. ruptured membranes.

12:45pm
Monitor was attached to Matthew's head to monitor him internally.

12:50pm
IV with Oxytocin was started.

5:00pm
Dr. broke my water for Matthew. Weirdest feeling ever! The water was so warm it reminded me of sitting in a hot tub :)

6:00pm
Given nitrous oxide (laughing gas) to help ease discomfort of contractions. It did nothing. If anything, it was annoying. It's hard to focus on only breathing through your mouth.

6:20pm
Given morphine to help ease discomfort of contractions.

7:30pm
Checked to see how dilated I was: 5cm. Received an epidural. Pure bliss!

8:00pm
Catheter was put in.

9:10pm
I mentioned to the nurse that I had to go to the bathroom, and so I wanted to know what she wanted me to do because I was hooked up to an IV and a few monitors. The nurse was quite shocked, and so she checked to see how dilated I was: 9cm. Apparently the pressure I was feeling was the baby, and not a bowel movement :). The medical staff went into panic mode as they weren't expecting me to have progressed this quickly. Our nurse had just mentioned that she figured the babies would be born at 3am.

9:38pm
Dr. Checked to see how dilated I was: 10cm.

9:54pm
Moved to the operating room. It was still chaos at this point as they weren't quite prepared for me. I kept wanting to push, but they wouldn't let me because they weren't ready yet.

10:47pm
Matthew John Struik is born.

11:01pm
Kayla Rose Struik is born. She didn't cry for what seemed like forever, and Jon says she was completely blue when she was delivered. Thank goodness I didn't see that! I had to deliver both of their placentas still, so I was concentrating on doing that and listening for her cry. I felt like I was a part of a tv show or movie, where everyone is working quickly to try to get the newborn to cry.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. Can't wait to hold them. A monitor on Matthews head??? poor liitle guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel had the same thing on her head. Does he still have a mark? Did they have to break kaylas water or did it break on her own? It is a weird feeling thats forsure....although i'm kinda grossed out that you related it to sitting in a hot tub ;) haha.

    ReplyDelete