Sunday, January 19, 2014

3 Months Old!

It feels like Nathan has been a part of our family forever.  FOREVER.  In a good way.  I can't believe he's only three months old.  He should be way older!  It seems like forever ago that I was getting induced and then going through labour with him.  Maybe that's why he seems so much older - I've put all the memories of that in the back of my memory :)

The stats:
Nathan weighs 17 lb 4 oz.  He is wearing size 2 diapers (only overnight - it's cloth diapers all day, every day!) and 6-9 month clothes, but I've pulled out his 9-12 month clothes because he can definitely wear the smaller pieces of it.  It's been busy putting away clothes and pulling out the next size!  The clothes Nathan is wearing now, Matthew was wearing between the ages of 6-9 months.  It just baffles my mind to see Nathan in clothes that Matthew wore when he was developmentally further than Nathan.  I wonder if Nathan will eventually catch up to Matthew?

Nathan is growing up so fast.  He absolutely loves his play mat (he can easily spend 45 minutes on it) and is just starting to reach out and touch the toys you hold in front of him.  He doesn't do it all the time, but when he does, you can tell that it's definitely intentional.  I also put him in the exersaucer for the first time this past week.  Because he's a big boy, I didn't need to stuff blankets or anything to support him.  He's been in it a few times (it's at my parents' right now so we don't have as much access to it) and each time he gets 'better' at it by trying to touch toys.  He's got a long ways to go, but once he's in it on a daily basis I'm sure he'll figure it out in no time.

Nathan is quite strong, but he's not very good at tummy time.  Can you blame him, though?  Have you seen how big his head is?  That thing must be heavy!  He has his moments where he's really good at it, but unfortunately, those are the times when the video camera is not on.  Matthew and Kayla were never good at tummy time either, and they can hold their heads just fine now!  Nathan loves to stand and sit and has great control of his neck.  He loves when I sit him on the couch, pull him up by his hands to a standing position, and then (lightly) let him fall back and bounce against the back cushions.  He also loves to 'jump' on the couch.  I hope to try him in the jolly jumper soon because I think he's definitely ready for it now.

Nathan is extremely friendly.  He doesn't necessarily care who is holding him, whether it be Jon, my parents, my siblings, a nursery volunteer, etc, however, I think I can calm him down the best.

He loves to suck/chomp on his fingers/fist right now.  His hand is always in his mouth!  When I bathe him I really have to make a point to open up his fingers in the water because dust/lint accumulates on his wet hands and gets stuck in the creases of his palm.  LOL.  Silly boy.

Nathan is still a 2-hour baby.  He still has seven four-ounce bottles during the day, and typically two during the night.  This might be changing though!  On the evening of the 17th, he had a bottle around 9pm and then went to bed and didn't wake up until 5:15am!  The next evening (the 18th), he had a bottle around 9pm, went to bed, and then woke up at 6am!  If he keeps this up then I can definitely say he's sleeping through the night!  

Nathan is a cat-napper, for the most part.  The only time he will have a nap that is longer than 30 minutes is if he is sleeping on someone (which doesn't happen very often at all), or if he's fallen asleep in the carseat while I'm doing errands.  The only nap that I can predict is his first morning nap.  I can usually catch his sign of being tired within 1.5 hours of being up for the day and can lay him down and he'll fall asleep without a fight.  That's the key...if I catch him right away when I know he's tired then he can fall asleep within seconds of laying down with his soother.  At night, he was often falling asleep during his bottle around 8pm and then I would transfer him to his bed, and then he would wake up 20 minutes later wide awake!  Not cool.  The past couple nights I've not allowed him to fall asleep during his evening bottle by sitting him up and burping him every time he shut his eyes.  When his bottle is done he's still half awake, so I've been putting him to bed while he's half awake and he's been falling asleep (and staying asleep) perfectly.  I'm hoping this will continue!

Anyways, I can't think of anything else to say about Nathan.  I'm so glad we have been blessed to have another baby and I'm especially happy that it was a boy (and that Jon let me have the name 'Nathan' after months of me trying to convince him).  It's wonderful having a baby around and he gets absolutely spoiled with attention by everyone.  Matthew and Kayla always want to know where he is, and still hate it when he cries.  The first thing they assume is that he's hungry, and they don't hesitate to grab his next bottle off the counter.  They love it when his hands touch their bodies ("Nayfin touched me!" - Matthew), and they love it when he talks to them ("Nayfin talking at me!" - Matthew).  They are great at giving him his soother and love informing me if he's awake or asleep when we're driving.  I took Matthew and Kayla to church last week and left Nathan at home and it was extremely weird.  I thought it would feel normal, like the way it had been for 2.5 years before Nathan was born, but it definitely wasn't.  I didn't have to think about things as much because they're so much older and more independent.  I'm glad it didn't feel normal.  I like it when they 'need' me!

And......that last paragraph was meant to be the closer and not that long.  And I think that's it.  For real this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment