Saturday, July 26, 2014

Matthew Goes to the Doctor

A few months ago I noticed a new freckle develop on Matthew' left knee.  He's been accumulating (?) more and more freckles this spring/summer so I wasn't too concerned about the fact that he had another freckle, it was that this one is really dark and slightly raised.  A month ago I also noticed a small lump in Matthew's right thigh (I have no idea how), and so that was also a little concerning.  Jon and I agreed that the next time I was in the North Surrey area I would bring him to Dr. Shah to get checked out.

My Mom and I planned to take the kids to Funky Monkey indoor playground on Thursday, which is right by Dr. Shah's office, so I made an appointment for Matthew right away.  The first thing Dr. Shah said when he took a look at Matthew was that he was too tanned, and if he tans quick I need to be putting sunscreen on him 3-4 times a day.  In regards to the freckle, he said it was a good thing I brought him in.  This freckle is benign, but I definitely need to keep an eye on it for any changes as this is the type that can become an issue.  They don't remove these freckles from kids, so I just have to watch it.

I then had Dr. Shah feel Matthew's thigh, to feel for the lump.  He felt it, and then compared it to his left thigh (where there is no lump).  He also asked Matthew if it hurt him as he pushed down on it.  Matthew started crying, so Dr. Shah assumed that it does hurt him.  I'm not sure if it actually hurts him, or if the nerves of being there made him more emotional.  Either way, I was given a requisition form to have Matthew sent for an ultrasound.  I called West Coast Imaging (CML HealthCare) and they told me that they don't do ultrasounds on children - only BC Children's Hospital does.  I call the Diagnostic Imaging department and was told to fax in the requisition form so that they could look at the notes on there and determine the priority.  If it doesn't seem concerning to them, they told me it will probably be a five month wait to get the ultrasound.  FIVE MONTHS.  Oh well, could be worse I guess.  Hopefully they get back to me this week.

Poor Matthew.  He's been through it all...X-Ray for his head shape, visits with eye doctors, now this...luckily nothing has been serious (yet!).  He and I have fun on our little 'dates'.

No comments:

Post a Comment