Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Matthew and Kayla go to the Dentist

I finally booked Matthew and Kayla their first dentist appointments.  I've been meaning to make appointments for them as soon as they turned three, but well, it didn't happen.  I finally made an appointment for this month because I originally was not going to be returning to work after my maternity leave was up, so I wanted to get them in before our coverage under my plan ended mid-October.  (But, in case you're wondering, I am returning to work (part-time)...hopefully not forever ;)).



Anyways, they had their appointment on Tuesday.  I was so nervous for them, almost sick to my stomach.  I've never liked the dentist (who does?), but after I received terrible news last fall that I had 15 cavities to be filled, I have despised the dentist.  I tried to be careful in not letting Matthew and Kayla see my nerves.



They had their appointments at the same time, which was both nice and not-so-nice.  It was great because we were in and out of there in 30 minutes, but it was a little difficult to be in both places at once.  Kayla was super nervous as soon as she had to climb into the chair - she just couldn't relax and couldn't concentrate on following the dentist's instructions - so I spent 75% of my time with her.  Matthew did fantastic.  He's also more used to doctor's appointments so that helps.



Given it was their first experience with the dentist, they both did great.  Given it was their first appointment and Matthew has a cavity, it was not so great.  Seriously?!?!  How many three year olds need to get a filling?  And he has three teeth with almost-cavities.  It baffles me.  Both Matthew and Kayla eat the same food, brush their teeth at the exact same times on the exact same days by the exact same person (Jon usually - not that I'm blaming him!), and one has a cavity (and three to keep an eye on) and one has none!  Bring on the dental bills - I can only imagine how many we're going to accrue over the next 19 years.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, I feel your pain! I have a mouth full of cavities and Jen has none! Apparently some mouths are more acidic then others.(?) Josh had 8 cavities at 3yrs old and had to be put under to get them fixed. Annika's due for her second round of sedation for some more fillings too...Sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taking your kids to the dentist can be a real pain for the parents than for the kids!! But, a Dentist should make their patients comfortable specially the kids, keeping few toys in the clinic will do the trick I feel!!

    Regards,
    Dentist mumbai

    ReplyDelete

  3. An emergency dentist is a highly trained professional who can respond quickly to dental emergencies in an immediate fashion.
    A dentist with an emergency response program is able to provide immediate care and treatment of a wide range of dental problems.
    This includes root canal therapy, filling crowns and bridges, gum reshaping, root canal treatment, extractions, orthodontic braces, and even surgery. Your family doctor or general dentist can provide routine preventative care and guidance, but they cannot guarantee that your teeth will not suffer from inevitable problems such as tooth decay and cavities.
    emergency dentist east brunswick nj

    ReplyDelete