Wednesday, December 9, 2015

I wish I could...

SING.

I love listening to artists who have fantastic voices...but then I get jealous.  I wish I could sing and have a natural gift for music.  It's not a secret that I can't carry a tune for the life of me.  Jon even asked me to stop singing along with our Kids Christian cd in the car a couple weeks ago.  Ouch.  Because I want my kids to become comfortable with singing, I always sing along to the songs playing on the radio (when familiar) or on a cd.  Matthew and Kayla seem to have no interest (or skills!) in singing.  Kayla is always a line behind, and Matthew says everything in one tone.  It's hilarious.  Poor kids were given my lack of ability to sing.  Jon, on the other hand, has a great voice (but no confidence!).

I took piano lessons from grade four to the beginning of grade ten (finished grade eight in Royal Conservatory), but any ability I have to play the piano is a learned skill and not a natural ability.  It would take me hours upon hours of practicing to learn a song and memorize it, whereas Jon can see a song being played one time, and start picking it up, based on hearing alone - he couldn't read a note for the life of him.

Why couldn't they have received Jon's genes?

P.S.  I just discovered Peter Hollens on YouTube and am quite envious right now :)

3 comments:

  1. Laura, you just keep on singing. In God's ears it doesn't matter whether you can stay on tune or not. The kids will enjoy hearing you sing! Wow, you went far in piano, you should pick it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opa Bomhof plays the organ and he can't read notes at all. Maybe that's where Jon gets it from. Oma Bomhof can't keep a tune at all either. But that's ok.

    ReplyDelete