Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ultrasound #2

I was a little nervous on the drive over to Genesis today because anything could have happened over the past week and a half (since our last ultrasound). It didn't help that I had to wait in the change/waiting room for approximately 30 minutes wearing my paper skirt around my waist until the doctor was ready for me. I was getting pretty frustrated. And we didn't have our own doctor, we had the newest one to join Genesis, which I was also a little disappointed about.

The ultrasound went really well! Both babies (yes, they're still both alive and kicking...well, not quite, but you know what I mean) are doing really well! Baby A (the second picture...also is not necessarily Baby A from last time) is 16mm long (which makes its gestational age 7 weeks 6 days) and has a heart rate of 178 bpm. Baby B (the first picture) is 17mm long (gestational age is 8 weeks) and has a heart rate of 176 bpm. I googled the average length (CRL, or crown rump length) for a baby between 8 and 9 weeks and the site I found said it should be between 15mm and 21mm. So we're doing good! If you look at the ultrasound pictures you can see the yolk sack 'above' each of the babies, and you can see Baby A's arms/legs. Pretty crazy.

We're officially done with Genesis now (or in their words we've 'graduated') and so now I have to make an appointment with my family doctor and get a referral or recommendation for an OB/GYN. Yikes. Just another new phase in this all that I have to learn. I'm assuming I won't have another ultrasound for a while now which I'm going to miss.

Oh, also, my ovaries are both still quite enlarged (my left one is 6cm in diameter and my right one is 4cm) which is still the OHSS. This means that I have to take it easy still (and no sex) until they're back to normal size, otherwise I could risk twisting one (or both). I once again googled it and most people's ovaries seem to be back to normal size after their first trimester. 4 more weeks!

Anyways, I'm trying to type this quickly so that I can get to bed...I was in bed and asleep by 9:15pm last night so that I could have a good 9 hours of sleep. And I was still tired today, as if I had only gotten 7. C'est la vie.

I'll write up another post on Thursday when I'm 9 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. yay! Its so amazing isn't it?? Do you have a picture of them both side by side? I still can't believe it! ahhhhh!!! You guys are in for it!! hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so crazy that there's two in there! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!! So they are in different sacs? Will they be identical or fraternal?? I can't remember what Kate and Rachel were. I think they were in seperate sacs but are identical so i guess we won't know until they are born?? you are going to be one busy momma!

    ReplyDelete