Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Matthew's Visit to the Pediatrician

Matthew had his visit with the pediatrician this morning to discuss his 'flat' head. Matthew did SO amazingly well! Dr. Bhui did a complete physical (height, weight, head size, eye movement, heart beat, etc) and Matthew was 100% cooperative. He didn't make a peep! Dr. Bhui said he was "excellent".

As for Matthew's head shape, Dr. Bhui wanted us to go to Surrey Memorial to have an x-ray done of his skull. This x-ray would show if any of the sutures in his skull have fused prematurely, causing his skull to grow unevenly (craniosynostosis). If there is premature fusion, then he would have to have surgery on his skull. If there isn't premature fusion, then he says that his skull will correct itself over time.

So, off to Surrey Memorial we went. I entered through the south entrance, which completely disoriented me as I'm used to entering through the north entrance. I found the x-ray lab, but was told that all outpatient x-rays are now completed at the Jim Pattison Outpatient Centre. So, back to the car we went (thank goodness I hadn't moved my car to the hospital parking lot, otherwise I would have paid that second time for no reason). I was hoping there wasn't going to be a long wait (because we didn't have an appointment), but was prepared with milk, toys, and snacks anyways. We ended up getting helped right away! The radiologist's name was Matthew as well, so Matthew was right away at ease (actually, he was a young white guy so I felt much better about everything...not that I have anything against older East Indian men...). I had to lay Matthew down on the x-ray bed, and then they wrapped his arms and legs up super tight. Then they put the edges of the bed up against the sides of his head, and tightened the straps across his forehead so he couldn't move. That's when Matthew started crying (do you blame him?). They took an x-ray from the front, and then they flipped the bed to the side so they could do a side profile. So proud of Matthew for doing so well!

We go back to the pediatrician on Thursday, November 3rd to discuss the results.

P.S. Thank goodness I only had Matthew with me, and thank goodness that it was Matthew and not Kayla going through all of this! Kayla would NOT have done well being held for that much, or being strapped down for the x-ray!

1 comment: