Wednesday, September 19, 2012

StrongStart

We attended our very first StrongStart class today (for those that don't know, StrongStart is a free preschool-like program funded by the government in select public elementary schools province-wide, and is for kids age 0-5 and an accompanying adult).  The closest school that offers it is at Willoughby Elementary, on 208th street and 80th avenue.  Their class runs from 1pm-4pm.  Not an ideal time, I would have much preferred if they offered it during the morning session (usually 8:45am-11:45am) so that it wouldn't interfere with their nap at all, but I didn't want to drive further just to attend a morning session.  I tried laying Matthew and Kayla down for a late morning nap...but only got 30 minutes out of them.  Not good.

We were the first to arrive at StrongStart which was nice...it gave me a chance to familiarize myself with the classroom, show Matthew and Kayla around, and talk to the teacher.  Matthew and Kayla had so much fun...at the beginning.  They LOVED all the different toys to play with.  I definitely need to try to work with them on cleaning up a toy after they play with it, as that is strongly encouraged there.  They lasted until 2:30 (just as snack was starting!), and then they had sleep-deprived/hungry meltdowns.  I suppose if there was only one of them I could have stayed and managed the meltdown, but because there are the two of them I figured it would just be easiest to leave.

They're now having some quiet-time in their cribs...in case they want to take a quick afternoon nap.  Correction...it has now turned into "giggle-time" in their cribs.  Oh well, they'll be in bed early tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment