Thursday, April 11, 2013

First OBGYN Appointment

First off, let me say how much I dislike when offices are behind schedule.  Specifically doctor's offices, which in my experience are NEVER on time.  I was given at 1:30pm appointment...but by the time the doctor saw me it was 2:30pm.  LAME.  Luckily I wasn't in a pay parking spot or wasn't pressed for time.

My doctor for this pregnancy is Dr. Susanna Ng as Dr. Christine Wagner (the doctor who I had at the beginning of my pregnancy with Matthew and Kayla) is off on medical leave.  Dr. Ng is your typical middle-aged female Asian doctor.  I don't mean to stereotype...but she's TINY and has the classic middle-aged female Asian laugh.  We were discussing my past pregnancy history and she thought it was absolutely amazing that Matthew and Kayla were born full-term boy-girl twins with good weights, after a relatively short time of being in active-labour (to which she warned me that I better be prepared for a quick labour this time).  She was giggling the whole time, saying it was "perfect" and "great" and "amazing".  It was pretty funny.  She also loved that my family and myself have no medical conditions.  I told her I wasn't lying when I said I was an easy patient to have. :)

Anyways, the appointment went well.  My blood pressure was 110/70.  I was a little shocked that it was so good, as I had noticed all day that I was much shorter of breath than normal, and I had a spontaneous bleeding nose just before lunch.  Glad it was good though.

It took Dr. Ng what seemed like eternity to find Baby Struik's heartbeat...which was starting to freak me out.    As soon as I heard the 'woosh-woosh' sound I was so relieved.  I hadn't heard the heart beat sent 11 weeks and 2 days...and so when you're still freaked out at 14 weeks 1 day about having a miscarriage it was the best sound I had ever heard.  I think if I was an emotional person I would have cried tears of joy.  But I'm not...but the thought crossed my mind :).  Love that sound.  I'm just dying to start feeling movements so that I know everything is still going okay.  Hopefully within the next month!

Now that I've heard the heartbeat again, it's time to make it official at work (my boss and accounting colleagues know, but management doesn't yet).  And maybe I'll start allowing myself to believe that this is actually going to work out this time.  Maybe.

My next appointment is in four weeks - and I made sure to book the very first appointment of the morning, 8:30, so I wouldn't have to wait at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment