Wednesday, February 25, 2015

18 Weeks...and I Fall

Happy 18 weeks Baby Struik...how about a fall down the stairs with Nathan and I?

Yes, that's right.  I fell down the last couple steps into our basement today, while carrying Nathan on my hip.  Luckily it was only a couple steps, and luckily I managed to hold Nathan the whole time and land on my butt...but I'm still really nervous about miscarrying.  Falling during pregnancy is never a good thing.  Poor Nathan screamed, but I think it was probably just because he was scared because I screamed while falling and then yelled for Jon to grab Nathan.  I don't think he was hurt...maybe he hit his head against the wall or the step, we're not sure.  I, on the other hand, didn't fare so well.  The soles of my feet are sore from sliding down the steps with them, my right hand is sore from landing on it, and my left upper arm took the brunt of it all.  I was carrying Nathan on my left hip, as I always do, so it was that arm that slid down the steps with his weight on it.  I think I'll have a bruise that's about 6" long tomorrow.  I quickly googled my chances of having a miscarriage from falling during pregnancy (it seems unlikely...possible, but unlikely) and then ate dinner, during which I was relieved to feel a few faint kicks from Baby Struik while eating, and then locked myself in my bedroom so I could allow my body to rest from the fall.  I'm so grateful that I already had a routine prenatal appointment booked for first thing in the morning, so at least I'll get confirmation that everything is still okay (hopefully).  I couldn't imagine having a miscarriage this far in.

Other than the fall, things are going well.  I thought I felt my first baby kicks on Saturday, February 14 (16 weeks + 4 days), but was unsure.  Now, I can definitely confirm that Baby Struik has been moving :).  It's faint, and not all that frequent, but it's happening.  I cannot wait until I can feel some powerful kicks.

And as a lovely treat, here's a picture of my (starting to look like a pregnant and not fat) belly - I mean, me - taken 10 minutes before my fall:

No comments:

Post a Comment