Saturday, February 14, 2015

Walk at Brae Island Regional Park

I really don't like to sit at home doing nothing, especially when we have dry days.  We were hoping to take the kids to crescent beach this morning since it has been 1.5 years since they were last there (!), but the weather didn't look like it was going to cooperate so Jon and I decided we would do a walk instead.  Jon actually suggested a hike...but I quickly shot that down due to 1) three young kids, all of whom would request to be carried at some point, and 2) my fear of running into a bear (which is justified...because when we did a hike on the Sunshine Coast we DID run into a bear who saw us while we were hiking.  Most scared I've ever been.  We did everything you are NOT supposed to do...including quickly hiding behind a bush, scrambling to find a weapon we could use to defend ourselves (ie. a small rock!) and then running down the trail to our car).  Anyways, I knew that Louise Chapman had done a blog entry at one point on local kid-friendly walks (http://www.talknerdytomeblog.com/2014/06/five-enjoyable-walks-in-surrey-langley.html) so I looked it up and we decided to head to Brae Island.  We camp there every other year with my Mom's side of the family, but we had never done the walk around before.

The kids LOVED it.  Nathan particularly.  He walked a good portion of it, and at great pace, and absolutely loved throwing rocks into the river.  I think he would have gone swimming if I had allowed him to.  We definitely hope to keep visiting, especially as the weather gets warmer.


















2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Glad you had fun and didn't run into any bears :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to take them on walks/hikes. They will love the outdoors when they are older. Love the picture of Matthew and Kayla running.

    ReplyDelete