Saturday, November 21, 2015

Kids' First Ice Skating Experience

Matthew will excitedly tell you that he went "hockey skating, without sticks or nets" last night.  Yes, we took the kids ice skating for their very first time last night.  The hope is that our boys will play hockey in the local Christian league when he's in grade two, so it was time that we start getting Matthew (and Kayla) comfortable on the ice.


I asked my parents to come along too, so that my Dad could skate and my Mom could watch Olivia.  I wanted to go on the ice too, even though I think the last time I skated was before Jon and I even started dating, so over 13 years ago.  Yikes.  Let me tell you that the ice is a lot slipperier than I remember it being!  I didn't fall though :).



I have skates for Matthew and Kayla (one pair from our neighbour and one pair bought off of the facebook swap), so I just had to rent for Nathan.  That was a waste of money!  I think he managed to do one lap of the ice and then he had enough and was content to sit on the 'boards', watching with my Mom.



Matthew and Kayla did great!  Yes, they were really nervous, but by the end, after an hour of doing lap after lap after lap, they were much more confident!  Matthew used the skating trainer the entire time, although he did prove to me a few times that he could skate forward a few inches without holding on.  Kayla did a lap at the end just holding my Dad's hand.  Hopefully we can go semi-regularly so that they can keep improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment