Thursday, October 20, 2016

Matthew's Thoughts on School, Friends, and Childbirth

Matthew and Kayla attend our local Christian School, and their cousins (whom they are extremely close with) attend a French Immersion program at a public school.  Matthew and Kayla are well aware that their cousins are learning to speak French, because they often have new words to share with Matthew and Kayla.  On our drive home one afternoon, Matthew asked me, "What's better, Mom?  Learning about God, or learning French?"

**

For the past year or so, we have been talking with Matthew, Kayla, and Nathan a lot about marriage, and specifically that boys marry girls and girls marry boys, especially with Nathan as he is really into learning about the differences between boys and girls, and who he can and can't marry, etc.

When Matthew and Kayla get off of school, I ask them both a lot of questions.  One question that I always ask is, "Who did you play with at recess?"  I always ask them this because I want for them to be comfortable playing with other kids in their class.  Because they are each other's best friends and in the same class, they naturally gravitate to doing everything together.  Anyways, Matthew often says the names of a couple girls in their class that they have played with that day.  I asked Matthew what the other boys were doing and why he didn't he want to play with them.  His response was something along the lines of, "But I can't play with the boys because I need to find a girl!"  He thought that he could only play with girls because he knew he could only marry a girl!  I quickly explained to him that he didn't need to worry about that yet!

**

On Nathan's birthday, as we were driving to my Mom's, I was discussing with Matthew and Kayla how the doctors helped me a lot to get pregnant with them (in vitro fertilization), and how they helped a little with Nathan (frozen embryo transfer), and how they didn't help at all with Olivia (natural pregnancy).  I explained that the doctors also help mothers get babies out of their tummies.  I explained how having the doctors take them out only hurt a little because I had "special medicine" to make me not feel anything, but with Nathan I couldn't get the "special medicine" because the doctor was too busy and so it hurt so much that I was screaming.  Matthew looked over at Kayla and said, "Oh and Kayla's going to have to do that too, when she's older."

No comments:

Post a Comment