Sunday, September 8, 2013

Potty Training - Matthew - Day 1

Day 1 of potty training for Matthew turned into being only a half day.  I wouldn't necessarily say it was as failure...it just wasn't a success.

My plan was to get him to sit on the potty as soon as he woke up, but he didn't want to and I didn't feel like forcing it because I didn't want to start the day with him being forced to sit on the potty.  I changed him into 'big boy underwear' just before breakfast, and he managed to keep them dry all throughout breakfast.  After breakfast Matthew and Kayla had a bath...which I'm sure Matthew must have peed in.  After bath-time he went back into his big boy underwear.  I tried to get as much liquid in him as he would allow, and then I had him sitting on the potty every 10-15 minutes.  He didn't like to sit on it when I told him to, so I started setting the timer on the microwave and he knew that when it beeped he had to try to do pee, which he willingly tried, for the first bit.  After about 10 times he was no longer fascinated with the idea of sitting on the potty "just like Kayla does" and must have felt quite defeated over his inability to produce pee.  Around 10am, he was standing in the living room at the table and all of a sudden I look over and he has his underwear and pants halfway down, and he's mentioning in a confused tone that they are wet.  He had no idea why they were wet.  Oh man, that was my clue that he definitely has no idea what is going on.  After that, I kept him in his underwear until after lunch, at which point he got changed into a diaper again in anticipation of nap time.  And then he stayed in a diaper for the rest of the day, and we haven't tried potty training again.

So, what's my plan of attack right now?  Well, I'm home from work for the next week and a half so I hope to (maybe) keep trying to get a pee in the potty in the mornings, but then switch to diapers when either he or I are losing enthusiasm, whichever comes first.  I'm not going to force him to be ready for this because I don't want him to feel stressed over it, and I definitely don't feel like being stressed over it either.  He'll learn when he's ready...I was just hoping for this sake that he would follow shortly behind Kayla...and for my sake that I would only have one kid in diapers going forward.  Oh well, at least it's cloth diapers he uses and so it's not costing me a ton!  Just a little in water and electricity...which I have to pay for now that we're in a house and not renting :(.  Keep the bills a coming!  Kidding.  They can actually stop whenever...I'm actually a little sick of setting bill payments in my bank account.  I can't even enjoy making deposits because both of our employers do direct deposits!  There's something to be said for a paper cheque...

No comments:

Post a Comment