Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Matthew and Kayla can Bike!

Matthew and Kayla learned how to ride 'big kid' (pedal) bikes this week - without training wheels!

I took Matthew and Kayla to Toys R Us a couple weeks back, to see what size bike they would need.  Kayla could do with a 14", and Matthew needed a 12".  I found one bike for Matthew on my swap a couple weeks back, and bought it under the impression it was a 12" bike.  When he tried it and it was WAY too big for him I was so confused!  My Mom pointed out that it looked larger than a 12", and so I inspected the tires and noticed that it was a 14".  So, Kayla got a red 14" Lightning McQueen bike.  Because she had a bike, she began to practice first, and got the hang of pedal biking before Matthew.

I found Matthew a 12" bike (an actual 12" this time!) off of Craigslist.  I totally low-balled the seller, but she needed to get rid of it and so she accepted my offer.  Matthew got off to a rougher start as he hadn't mastered pedaling a tricycle yet, but tonight he was able to put pedaling and balancing together and off he went!  He totally gained confidence tonight.

They both know how to stop - we just need to work on how to start (Kayla is halfway to understanding) - and some bicycle etiquette (Matthew likes to just drop his bike on the ground).

P.S.  If you want a great workout, trying running after your kids while holding on to their bike seat.  Totally gave me sore muscles in my butt where I didn't know muscles existed!  And I was sweating up a storm each time!

No comments:

Post a Comment