Thursday, January 29, 2015

Doctor's Appointment #1

I had my first appointment with Dr. Smith and Surrey Prenatal Clinic (SPC) today.  She wasn't my doctor during my pregnancy with Nathan, but she ended up delivering him and I loved her so I requested her this time.  It was nice going back to SPC...it was almost surreal that I was/am having that opportunity again.

Other than being almost two hours behind schedule (luckily I had called ahead and so I knew to show up an hour late), my appointment was pretty standard.  We went over the ultrasound results from the ultrasound I had on January 9.  I regret having that ultrasound!  Because I had one, they have to use the estimated due date based on what the baby was measuring that day.  Unfortunately, I'm measuring five days behind and so my due date has been pushed to August 2.  I presumed this would happen due to my longer cycles and thus later conception date, so I wasn't concerned for the growth of the baby but selfishly because that means the earliest I would get induced is August 12.  I'm assuming since I've had to be induced with my two other (successful) pregnancies that I'll probably have to get induced with this one too (boo!).  The funny thing is that we have our annual Penticton camping trip scheduled for August 15 to 22.  At least I will have a lot of helping hands.  Or, best case scenario, I go into labour naturally before then!  I guess it's up to God!

One nice change at SPC since I was last there is that they now have a handheld ultrasound machine.  It's the greatest thing ever!  I don't think it would work well if you're late into your pregnancy, but if you're just pregnant like me, it's great!  After hearing the heartbeat through the doppler, she did a quick little ultrasound to show me Baby Struik.  So wonderful.  I told her if I had one at home I think I would use it every day :)

So far, so good with Baby Struik!  I don't feel pregnant at all (other then some weight gain) and am still fitting into my non-maternity clothes just fine (which is strange for me, since with the others I was already into maternity pants).  Maybe I won't gain 45+ pounds this time?!?!?!

P.S.  Although my dates have changed for hospital-purposes, for the purpose of the blog and my weekly photos I'm going to continue to go by the first day of my last period.  It would be too confusing (for me, at least!) to have duplicate-week blog entries/photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment