Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sibling Love

For the month of January, I am the Preschool/Kindergarten Children's Church teacher at church.  Matthew and Kayla are in my class, so half of the class just calls me "Mom".  It's quite cute.

During one of our large-group activities with all of the other children in the older classes, the kids had to 'go fishing'.  They would take their fishing rod, throw the string with a binder clip tied to the end over the edge of the table, and they they would reel in a slip of paper that had that name of a person on it.  Matthew and Kayla were the first to go.  Matthew brought his slip to me first, and it said, "Princess."  Kayla brought hers to me next, and it said, "Santa Claus."  Kids kept reeling in their slips of paper:  Grandma, Pastor, Policeman, Teacher, President, etc.  Meanwhile, I could see the tears forming in Kayla's eyes, and despite all attempts at holding them in, she burst out crying.  I figured I knew what the issue was, but I wanted her to tell me in case I was wrong.  "Mom, I like Princesses!" she cried (I was right!).  Matthew saw and heard everything she said, and I was so proud when he told Kayla that he would switch papers with her.  So cute.  I love that they have each other...such a great relationship they have.


(Matthew loves bridges (and Thomas and Lighting "TheQueen").  I drove under the Tynehead Pedestrian overpass with him on our way to his eye doctor appointment with Dr. Cline last week, and promised him that over the weekend (if it was dry) we would visit Tynehead Park so that he could go on the bridge).  Jon and I tried to get some pictures of the kids...but honestly, it was a little disappointing.  Who am I kidding?  What are the chances of getting them ALL smiling at the same time (or Kayla smiling at all?!?!?))


(Totally not-posed.  I was waiting for Matthew and Kayla to run back to the middle of the bridge and was just having a little conversation with Nathan.  I love it.)


(Discussing where they had to stand)


(Matthew being super uncooperative pretending he had no idea where I had told him to go.  I look like I have my hands full (in a literal and non-literal sense).  I guess I do (in both senses).


(1 out of 3 smiling.  I'll take it.)


(Mr. Independent did not not want to be carried walking down the ramp from the overpass.  I was just worried that he would trip over his toes, like he always does.  He didn't.)





No comments:

Post a Comment