Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Conversation with Nathan

Nathan was having trouble falling asleep so I told him he could come downstairs and sit with me.

When he came down, I explained to him that I was watching a show about girls that got pregnant when they were still in school.

A few minutes into the show, he says to me, “Mom, wouldn’t it be funny if a baby died right when it came out of its Mommy’s tummy?”

I said to him, “Nathan, that would be really sad.  Did you know that it sometimes happens?  It’s not funny, but really sad.” 

He looked shocked and was speechless for a few moments, and then he said, “If that happens to my wife when she has a baby in her tummy then I will tell you when I die, okay?”

I responded, “Nathan, I hopefully won’t be in Heaven when you have babies.  Hopefully I will be at the hospital so I can hold your baby!”

He was silent for a second, and then giggled, “Mom, then you would be my kids’ Grandma!  And Dad would be their Grandpa!  I don’t know who their aunts and uncles would be though.”

“Yes, you do!  It would be Auntie Kayla and Auntie Olivia and Uncle Matthew!”  We had a good laugh J.

**


Seriously though, so many deep thoughts that run through this child’s mind.  We touched on a few (teen pregnancy, miscarriage/stillborn, death) in just a matter of a couple minutes.  Conversations like that happen on a frequent basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment