Saturday, January 27, 2018

Potty Training Olivia - Day 3

What a chaotic day.

I woke up as soon as Olivia woke up at 7:20am (AUGH!  Why couldn't she have slept longer so I could have slept longer?!?!?).  I took her to the potty but I figured she had done a little pee already in her diaper since it was wet.  No big deal.  I put her underwear on and downstairs we went.  Because she isn't allowed to sleep with her water bottle anymore, she was thirsty so I gave it to her and she chugged.  "Awesome" I thought.  "She'll need to pee quicker then."

By 9:00am I had to leave to go grocery shopping and left Jon in charge of her.  She didn't show any signs of having to pee.

I got home at 10:25am but had to leave again at 10:30am to take Kayla to soccer.  Olivia screamed when I left.  She did NOT want me to go.  She hasn't done that for so long!  My assumption at the time was because she had to pee and wanted me there.  By 10:55am she did a partial pee in her underwear.  Jon was not impressed.  10 minutes later she peed all over the kitchen floor.  I got home at 12:30pm to a chaotic household.  Groceries all over (because I didn't have time to put them away before).  Toys all over.  Lunch in progress.  Some kids changed, some not.  Counter buried under who-knows-what.  Olivia naked from the waist down because Jon didn't know where her underwear was.  I spent the next hour and a half cleaning up and clothing children.  I was not watching Olivia, so of course, she peed.  I figured it was perfect timing and because she hadn't napped the last few days, I put a diaper on her and put her upstairs to sleep.  She had other plans.  Twenty minutes later I took her out because she was just not feeling it.  I left her in the diaper for the next hour and a half because I was busy making apple strudels with my Mom and didn't even know if I wanted to bother potty training anymore.  Jon was not on board anymore so it made me second-guess myself.  When we were done baking, I checked Olivia's diaper and she was still dry, so I gave her a large cup of apple juice and put her on the potty (no success) and then put her back in underwear.  She was pretty adamant for the next two hours that she didn't have to go.  After that, I could tell she had to go because she would hold her legs together, but she was pretty stubborn about sitting on the potty.  I was able to bribe her a few times, but she never peed.    We had dinner and she continued to hold her legs and be stubborn.  Finally, at 6:30pm, I had had enough and carried her to the potty and held her there for 20 seconds and then she peed.  Finally.  Then we headed upstairs for a bath and a diaper and bedtime.  Tomorrow is church, so she'll be diapered and then we'll see what happens in the afternoon.  Monday is another low-key day for me so I might continue persevering. 

I have learned two things about Olivia these past three days:
1.  She has a bladder of steel.  Seriously.  How can she hold her pee for 4-5 hour stretches?!?!?
2.  She is stubborn.  Oh wait.  I already knew that.  Maybe I should say she is EXTREMELY stubborn.

I will win this, right?  Eventually, I guess.  "She's the last one, she's the last one, she's the last one" is my chant.

No comments:

Post a Comment