Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Losing Weight

I wish I could say that this entire entry would be about me losing weight...but I can't.  Yes, I've lost about 22 of the 47.5 pounds I gained, but this entry is about Nathan losing weight.

I took Nathan to see my family doctor, Dr. Shah, on Tuesday because he hasn't been peeing.  He would wear the same diaper all day and it still wouldn't even be close to being saturated.  He was weighed, and now only weighs 9lb 8oz (which was down again from 9lb 14oz from when he was weighed by Dr. Smith last Thursday).  His skin has also become quite dry and flakey.  Dr. Shah said he is starting to show signs of dehydration...but he's still doing okay.  I was told that I need to start feeding him every two hours, day and night, making sure to wake him up if he falls asleep during a feed or if he's sleeping when he needs to be fed.  We go for a follow-up check-up tomorrow at 11:20.  Dr. Shah said he wanted to see Nathan gain 1 lb over the two days...but I think that goal is a little unobtainable.  I, myself, would like to see a weight gain, period.  I'm starting to get skeptical that I can exclusively breastfeed - it looks like a combination of breastfeeding and/or pumping and/or formula feeding will be in my future.  I guess we'll find out more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment